Thursday, March 22, 2012

THINK SPRING !!

My anticipation of spring starts early and increases quickly as winter ticks on. I look forward to warmer weather, the greenhouses filling with plants, new growth in the gardens and the return of old friends. I love seeing returning customers and catching up with them. We have regulars at Landis Valley too, although I don’t get to talk to them at length. We’ll be returning to our regular site at the Landis Valley Herb Faire on May 11 & 12. Let’s hope for good weather. In fact, let’s hope for better weather throughout the season this year. It will be interesting to see the effects of our record setting year in the gardens.

Many herbs were not happy being wet for so long, but they’re pretty tough and I expect most will recover. I’ll be looking for signs of new growth; as long as I see that, I’ll cut back hard, even on woody perennials, and hope for the best. With all that groundwater, flowering perennials and early annuals should be lush this spring. It’s always easy to be optimistic at the beginning of the season.

To get you thinking about planting, read about our new selections on page 2. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we’ll finally receive ‘Paris’ rosemary, although no guarantees. Also, read about the varieties of fennel we offer, the herb of the year and plants for specific uses and settings. Here’s hoping for a productive spring!

No comments: